Roblox Central

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Roblox Central

Discussion for all things Roblox. (roblox.com)

Welcome to the new forum! Any suggestions you have are greatly appreciated.
WARNING: Before referring anyone to this website, Please read this topic

3 posters

User-Created

Meelo
    Meelo
    Admin

User-Created Empty User-Created

Post by Meelo Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:56 pm

What happened to the good old days when you could program something and it got used? What happened to the times when quality was linked to popularity? What happened to the bygone days where stuff was free? What happened to ROBLOX?

A long time ago, there were no cars. There were no planes. There were no guns, arrows, or swords. There were no turrets. There was no lava. All those things the average user takes for granted now. All can be attributed to one group: Programmers. Now, after 2 years of the same ol', we're running out of ideas. Updates, which should be HELPING the stem of ROBLOX's success are eradicating them. We've, without warning, lost parts of the API. We've had updates that shadowed our developments. We've, overall, been neglected. ROBLOX's golden age is over. The programming societies are crumbling. They've been infiltrated, disrespected, and eviscerated. A year ago, I could say, "I'm a programmer", and command respect. Now, I'm infamous for doing the exact same things. It would only take 1 or 2 major new things to fix all this - but, alas, ROBLOX hasn't heard us.

Unlike programmers, ROBLOX seems very aware of another group: Forumers. They, while they are certainly more prominent to the admins, are far more oppressed than programmers. Rather than just a few bad updates, but nothing more, they get to deal with trigger happy mod-bots, insane spammers, unpredictable moderators and a dead society. When I joined, the forums were a place of mostly intelligent discussion and stuff. "Off-Topic" was where I could relax, not sift through loads of spam. "Suggestions & Ideas" was a place I could debate ideas, not a place full of spammers and people who can't be civilized. "Scripters/Scripting Help" used to be a place where we could discuss various topics with intelligent people, and give some help, not get discredited, spammed, and have my reputation stolen by non-programmers. It used to be you could post just about anything within reason, now if it CAN be used badly it must go. You used to be able to express your opinion in a spam free forum - now any human emotion is bannable. The society is diluted by noobs to the point where the forums are unusable. Unfortunately, there is not much ROBLOX can do to fix this. Exodus to a decent forum is the only option, and that must be on a personal level.

Now, ROBLOX isn't ignorant or abusive of ALL it's members. ROBLOX usually pays a lot of attention to where they think the cycle begins - Builders. Builders have it pretty good - they still have unaddressed wants and stuff, but they get basically every update. They also get most the credit and recognition from ROBLOX and other users - it doesn't matter who made the lava, or the awesome cars. They put them in a place. ROBLOX lets even the dumbest of the dumb able to make stuff. Free Models are mostly populated by stuff programmers made, and builders use. They made materials, which were already doable without the update. At the cost of programmers, they even made VehicleSeats, which truly proves they think builders will help them more. While they will get more cash lining their golden pants this way, as they are a majority, it is not permanent. Enough of the same stuff will travel down the chain - but it will eventually be that builder's are the last link. Now, I don't blame builders for all their joy at the cost of programmers, but ROBLOX is at fault for favoritism.

There is basically one group - probably the least important - that ROBLOX treats like royalty. The masses. They probably haven't done anything extraordinary and exceptional. They probably can't program. They're probably not the best builders. They are mundane. While they form communities within themselves, as ROBLOX users, they are consumers, not producers. I don't have anything against them, but they are certainly ROBLOX's favorite. ROBLOX gives them updates on a weekly, or even daily basis - content updates. Don't the admins have better things to do than make CONTENT? Have they forgotten what user-created-content means? This group just gives ROBLOX money by the hundreds - ROBLOX gives every feature they can imagine to them. They still complain, but ROBLOX only has so much manpower, and they're not going to use it for the game. They're going to use it for the economy.

Evidently, ROBLOX's programmers are not the great "bedroom programmers". They are not the "freeware activists". They are not the "free game" they claim to be. They have their eyes set on only 1 thing - Money. They do not look at the indirect routes. They want money, and they want it now. I believe that if they ever want to better their game with not much effort, they should be giving stuff to the programmers.

Last edited by Meelo on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    Earth
    Earth
    Admin

User-Created Empty Re: User-Created

Post by Earth Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:20 pm

Golden ages don't last forever.

We all want money.

But I agree scripters need an update or two.

The problem is that there are people who want to use updates to scripting to bypass security. It gives them a headache, and deprives the rest of the scripting community of an update.

I'm angry at the exploiters who think they're so cool, capturing the flag 100 times or whatever.

Oh and Ice couldn't really... Efficiently be made before, neither could corroded metal.

Also before someone says this

BC gets to preview the chat function, not BC only.

Anyway, I do agree, but its in human nature to want money.

QUICK WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO IN LIFE?!????!?!?!?!

I bet one of the things you thought of was get money.
    They're feeding the consumers.

But it'd be nice to have one intern buckle down and make scripting updates for scripters, and tag them on the ends of other updates

That way we don't get the "Wtf will key up be used for? NOTHING!!!!"

Threads in the forums.

Scripters don't want a ton of super complex stuff.
    We just want simple things. ( and super complicated stuff ...) adding them bit by bit little by little, but not having Ice ages occur between them is what we need.

The site is important, but I hope they'll get back to game play soon, and a new golden age will begin.
    Jfeather
    Admin

Post by Jfeather Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:46 pm

All communties fall apart. No community can last forever. But a neglecting producer of the game can quicken this process.

Meelo, every word you said is true, and was a very nice post. Very well done- I would easily consider it better then all of my rants combined. If you can post this to the Roblox Forums, please do. If you get moderated though, screw it and lets get some people to join this forum.
    Meelo
    Meelo
    Admin

Post by Meelo Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm thinking about compiling the best of my ideas into a single thread with this as a lead. Anything could happen there though.
    Meelo
    Meelo
    Admin

Post by Meelo Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Earth
    Earth
    Admin

Post by Earth Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:50 pm

I dun wanna die!!! D:

Sponsored content